It is one of the most deadliest weapons in a fighters arsenal, the dreaded low kick..
Recently we have see a number of athletes use it to dictate a bout, the most recent being Justin Gaethje v Tony Ferguson, Max Holloway v Alexander Volkanovski, Henry Cejudo nearly got himself despatched when Marlon Moraes spent the first 2 rounds of their recent bout attempting to destroy Henry's legs.
We first saw low kicks come through martial arts such as karate, sambo taekwondo, kūdō, kickboxing, lethwei, Muay Thai, and Krav Maga. Here is a great wikipedia article which lists out some of the most prominent bouts that have ended through low kick damage.
A low kick is a kick in which the attacker uses his or her leg to strike the opponent's lower body with the shinbone or foot. This type of kick, under different names, is utilized in numerous full-contact martial arts such as karate, taekwondo, kūdō, kickboxing, lethwei, Muay Thai, and Krav Maga.
Landing low kicks efficiently, on target, in succession and with the right about of power, without sustaining too much damage yourself can win you a critical bout.
Here is a low kick clinic from the legendary José Aldo v Urijah Faber 👇🏼
Here is a brilliant tutorial on how to land a basic low kick 👇🏼
There are many types of low kicks to land in MMA, Black Belt Wiki provides a great list on what low kicks are generally available:
- Calf Kick
- Low Front Kick – Kick to the groin, etc.
- Groin Kick
- Karate’s Kansetsu Geri – This kick is also known as the “knee joint kick”, “dislocation kick”, etc.
- Low Push Kick – Kick to knee
- Low Roundhouse kick – Kick to side of knee, calf, etc.
- Low Side Kick – Kick to knee
- Low Spinning Heel Kick – Not frequently used in real life but often seen in martial arts movies.
- Stomp Kick – Stomp on an opponent’s foot, scrape down the shin, etc.
- Sweep Kick – Kick to sweep an opponent off their feet
- Scoop/Oblique Kick – Kick to knee
- Shin Kick – A well-known Muay Thai kick
- Low Toe Kick
Blackbelt Wiki also do some great tutorials on all the above kicks below 🔥